Contemporary home styles promote flexible living space and bring in an abundance of natural light. The theme of contemporary or modern home styles has the general sense of minimalism, while also being innovative with the design. The architecture draws on a number of inspirations from Prairie-style designs, mid-century modern homes, and geometric house plans of the recent decades. Numerous windows are a popular home design, creating a connection to the outdoors. With the flexible design, the home owner can change the functionality to their lifestyle.
Some common characteristics of California Contempory style homes include
- Open flexible floor space
- Minimalist decorative elements
- Extensive use of modern or industrial materials throughout the home
- Unobtrusive front entrance
- Flat or unconventional shed roofs